Hyperlite Mountain Gear 3400 Windrider - is a 55 liter, 907 gram version of HMG’s flagship ultralight pack that was selected as “Best Ultralight Pack” by Backpacker Magazine.
Achieve your optimal hiking speed, efficiency and comfort with HMG streamlined 3400 Windrider ultralight pack. Perfect for backpacking, mountaineering, section hiking, or winter hiking, the 3400 model has 15 liters of additional volume to comfortably hold all of your gear when 40 liters just isn’t enough. With the extra volume this becomes an ideal ultralight pack for thru-hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail or the Continental Divide Trail where re-supply opportunities are less frequent. The 3400 Windrider can also accommodate bear canisters vertically.
The Windrider includes everything you need and nothing you don’t. Made from 100% waterproof Dyneema® Composite Fabrics (formerly Cuben Fiber), this pack is lightweight, highly durable and weatherproof and will surely be one of the most comfortable packs you’ve ever owned. The pack includes a roll-top closure, Y-strap top compression, four side compression straps, an internal mesh hydration sleeve, hydration port, removable internal aluminum stays, sternum strap, and three external mesh pockets for added volume and for drying damp gear as you hike. Use it with our Stuff Sacks for a nearly perfect waterproof kit.
Body: 50D Dyneema®/Poly hybrid white or 150D Black
Bottom: Double reinforced 150D Dyneema®/Poly hybrid
External Pockets: Mesh
- Includes two removable, shaped aluminum stays.
- Three external mesh pockets - Makes it easy to see what's in your pockets and allows gear to dry faster
- Cushioned antimicrobial hip belt. Dyneema® Hardline dual-density hip belt with 1/8” closed cell rigid foam, 1/4" closed cell foam and spacer mesh
- Two water resistant Dyneema® Hardline zippered pockets on hip belt with #5 YKK zipper for snacks or electronics.
- Roll-top storm closure with Velcro to keep closure aligned and easy to roll closed.
- Top Y-strap compressor system – designed to also hold sleeping pad, jacket or other gear.
- Side compression straps to tighten pack load and to stow trekking poles when not in use.
- Ice axe loop. An ice axe keeper is available for purchase separately.
- Thicker padded shoulder straps with moisture wicking, antimicrobial mesh spacer fabric allowing for both cushion and maximum air flow. Dyneema® Hardline shoulder straps with 3/8” closed cell foam and spacer mesh 1/4” foam back panel pad
- Adjustable sternum strap with self-tensioning elastic is finished with quality plastic buckle with a built in signal whistle always on hand.
- Four exterior triglide buckles for optional pack accessory straps
- Internal hydration sleeve with hydration hose port.
- Double reinforced pack bottom.
- Bar tack reinforcements on all stress points.
- Fully sealed main body seams.
- Proprietary seam sealing on all side seams and behind all sewn-on pack features
- Stitched with Spectra Fiber thread and a bonded tex 69
Additional straps to store snowshoes or other equipment, sold separately.
Load capacity: 11-18 kg (25 – 40 lbs)
Interior: 3400 cu. in. (55L)
External: 600 cu. in. (9.8L)
Center pocket: 300 cu. in.
Side pockets: 150 cu. in.
Top Circumference: 101.6cm (40”)
Bottom Circumference: 85.1cm (33.5”)
Height (fully unrolled): 86.4cm (34”)
Back Width: 26.7cm (10.5”)
Handcrafted in Maine, USA
Hyperlite Mountain Gear manufactures a line of ultralight backpacks designed for everything from a quick day trip to an extended expedition. HMG backpacks are made of 100% waterproof Dyneema® Composite fabric with tape stitch lines. When used with ultralight Dyneema® Composite stuff sacks, their gear provides a rainproof system for your excursion. Combined with ultralight shelter systems, you will feel like you can fly. Cushioned shoulder straps and hip belts, padded lumbar support and shaped aluminum stays, provide a super-comfortable fit. HMG lightweight Cuben Fiber packs have been specifically designed for backpacking, mountain climbing, and ice climbing, but are suitable for cycling, pack rafting, day hiking or just getting around town.
Windrider 3400 received the Elevation Outdoors Summer 2014 Peak Gear Awards:
Why It Won: "For such a durable pack, it’s shockingly light and unbelievably comfortable, even while hauling a full 45-pound load. It offers up everything we wanted in a multi-day or thru-hike pack and nothing that we didn’t. The 3,400 cubic inches (plus another 600 in the mesh stuff-it pockets), meant one thru-hiking tester was able to fill it with a lightweight three season set-up of sleeping gear and apparel, 10 days’ worth of food, stove, fuel and four liters of water in the hydration sleeve and still had room to spare under the velcro, roll-down storm top. As if that were not enough, the Cuben fiber material is also fully waterproof."