Borah Gear Ultralight Bivy side zipper - is a great lightweight bivy with a mesh face panel and side zipper weighing only 198g at really good price. If any of the big names in bivy bags offered the Borah, you would pay much more for such high quality of both the materials and the craftsmanship. The zipper goes across the chest and then takes a turn down the left side for approx. 60cm (24"), creating a bivy that is easier to get into. When packed in the included silnylon stuff sack, the bivy is barely larger than a 1 liter water bottle.
It is one versatile piece of ultralight gear that can be used in a variety of situations to increase your sleeping comfort and to protect from the elements at minimal weight so you will take on every trip.
This is a piece of gear you must have if you are trying to lighten your load.
- You can use it alone in the summer hot nights, when you do not need a sleeping bag but do need some wind and water protection and a bit of warmth.
- You can put it over your down bag for extra rain protection and for extra warmth in the cold winter nights and use it under a tarp to get a versatile shelter system.
- You can put your sleeping pad inside the bivy to increase its thermal efficiency.
1.3oz silpoly floor - waterproof and durable
0.7oz no-see-um netting top protects against bugs.
Water Resistant/Breathable upper fabric in either Argon67
Argon 67 is 10 denier very lightweight, tight weave fabric, made with ripstop for extra tear strength. It resists wind, it has DWR finish and sheds water, but isn't waterproof and is not appropriate for direct rain exposure. In combination with appropriate tarp you can get a versatile shelter system.
165g (5.8 oz) for standard length, standard girth + 5g silnylon stuff sack
- #3 YKK zipper
- Footbox stake loops
- Grosgrain pull-loop to keep netting off face - includes shock cord
- Double-stitched seams
- Silnylon stuff sack included
Ultralight bivy is available in two sizes and two girths:
Standard size: fits up to 185cm (6'1") comfortably
Long size: fits up to 193cm (6'4")
Standard girth: is 185cm (73") at the shoulders and 152cm (60") at the feet.
Wide girth: is 198cm (78") at the shoulders and 168cm (66") at the feet.
If the user is > 85kg (180-220lbs), use a wide. If you use a 63.5 cm (25") wide pad, go with a wide regardless of weight.